Friday, October 7, 2011

Show me what'cha got!

Whew! I don't know what's up with my email, but I finally did what I needed to do. I love technology, but only when it works :) I was trying to email myself pictures from my phone so I could post the cool things I've done, and well let's just say it wasn't working yesterday. So if I emailed you these pictures by accident, you're just going to have to live with them... or delete them. Your choice.

So on to the good stuff. I've done a project that I'd like to share. I'm an undercover hoarder who loves going to garage sales & envisioning what I can do with all the junk people are getting rid of. Garage sales are my kryptonite. I see a sign that says garage sale, & something involuntary happens. My foot immediately slams presses on the brakes, and my arms flail wildly until I make the turn following the arrow in whatever direction it's pointing. What's kind of funny is that I'll drive by just to get a glimpse of what these strangers are offering (which I can't stand when people do that when I'm holding a garage sale, but I don't think twice when I do it to others lol). When I have my boys with me (and that's practically all the time) I try to limit myself on how many times I get out of the car. I live in the best place (for my decor theme) because there are garage sales at barns with all kinds of old things people can not wait to get rid of. Thanks if you've ever sold or given me anything!

ANYHOW, I found this absolutely revolting colored frame with the most intricate detail ever. Here's the back (because I began painting it, then realized I didn't take a before picture... yah, that's a common problem with me):

Doesn't that color make you want to gag?! The front was worse! Well I've spared you this sight for sore eyes, and spray painted it white. After that I turned to my trusty antiquing glaze (which is my 4th best friend... hey, I've got a lot of love to give), and gave the frame some more depth. Here's a picture of the frame after the white spray paint, and in the process of antiquing:


Can you tell I painted something red just before antiquing this project? So all you do with antiquing glaze is brush it on & wipe it off with a damp rag. You don't want the rag soaking wet, or it'll take off most of the glaze you just put on. This is my favorite way to distress/add depth to any detailed project. I'll be painting a chair aqua, then I'll use my antiquing glaze on the detailed part, so keep your eyes peeled (with a vegetable peeler... Actually, don't do that. It will hurt... and I'll get sued). SO are you're wondering what it looks like finished? Well that's great!

Uh, wondering won't get you anywhere. You have to ask :) Okay, okay. Here is the finished frame:


Yes, it's laying on my carpet because my walls are not painted, and I haven't figured out where to hang it. What can I say? I'm a little bit behind on my decorating. You'll be glad to know that I am considering color schemes for my house. Baby steps.... baby steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment