Saturday, October 15, 2011

Saucy! How to make & freeze bulk spaghetti sauce


So, I've been on this "once a month" cooking spaghetti sauce since September. Last month I followed this recipe. I purchased the ginormous can of tomato sauce at Costco (which was under $3), and organic stewed tomatoes (Italian recipe. They came in a bulk pkg of 8 cans? I only used 4 of the cans). Anyhow, since I'm off the red meat completely, I eliminated that from the recipe this month. Since I was missing meat, I wanted to add more bulk. I used green, red, yellow, and orange peppers along with garlic, onions, brown sugar, and some honey.  I just dumped everything into a large pot, & let it simmer over medium heat until I could taste the flavors in the sauce. I then bagged the sauce in portions of approximately 4 cups (1 quart). How? Well, I'm glad you asked! Observe:

Here's the bag you want to freeze 1 quart of your sauce in (be sure it's a freezer bag):

Here's what you want to use to help you (wide mouth canning jar):

Stay with me! 

You want to put the bag in the jar like so:


Then take the edge and flip it down so that you're covering the lip of the jar
(I'm so thankful for pictures!):


Next, pour your sauce in the jar & fill to the top:

(BTW: How come no one ever told me it's hard to take an action shot with just one hand?!)

Once the jar is full, pull the bag up out of the jar.
Pull slowly because the sauce will rise a little & 
you don't want to squeeze it all out of the bag:



Now you can pour 1 more cup into the bag, but remember you want to leave room in the bag for expanding. Now lay the bags onto a cookie sheet that will fit into your freezer:


Aaaand.... last but not least, put the pan in the freezer. 



Once the sauces are frozen 
you can store them upright to save space! 

HOORAY!



Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment