Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Love your neighbor as you love yourself...


Isn't this just a picture of serving with pure love?

Could you imagine witnessing this live? It just gives me chills. Although we aren't accustomed to washing other people's feet (and if you ask someone, you may get the "you-have-a-third-eye" look), we can still serve people in other ways. 

Today I was browsing craigslist (which I'm proud to say I haven't done in a while), and some items came up in the free section (my favorite place). So Leonidas, Don Juan, and I went to the house that had the items we were looking for, hoping it was still there. Lucky us, we were the first people to arrive. There was a woman who opened the door and led us inside the house. She had a ton of books, maps, shelves, etc. As I was sifting through my own private heaven of old books, I asked some questions just to make conversation. The woman (as she spoke) seemed heavy hearted. She began to somberly look around, and I realized what had happened. She continued to explain that since the house was foreclosing, the bank emptied out most of the house without notice. She hated to see all of the things that belonged to her mother just taken away to the dump without her permission. She said that she had worked so hard, and paid so much, that he (whoever he was) told her he was going to make the payments, but he didn't. This poor woman unraveled in front of me, and all I could say was, "It's not your fault." Small as those words seemed to me, it appeared to reach her heart. I hugged the woman, and comforted her as she wept on my shoulder. When the doorbell rang, I asked if she wanted me to answer the door. 

The rest of the time I was there I felt awful for this woman. She was just trying to piece herself back together while feeling so lost. After my boys and I had gathered what we had come for, I had asked if we could pray over her. We put our hands on her back as she silently wept. I said that I would post the remaining items on craigslist for her so hopefully others would come and take these items. When the boys and I were outside, Leonidas said, "Mommy, I hope this stuff doesn't go to the dump so the lady will be happy". He just breaks my heart! 

After posting the ad on craigslist I felt a little better. I may not always have the answers, or way to make everything better, but I do know that I can love others through Jesus Christ. I just need to open my eyes and listen when the opportunity presents itself. Are you listening?

No comments:

Post a Comment