Saturday, February 25, 2012

Lazy woman's enchiladas

Call me lazy. I like to think of it as taking the shortest route to get where you want to go, but that's just me. My hubby (General M) is in love with Mexican food (and sports). So imagine my happiness when I found out how to make enchiladas an easy way. I used to cook the chicken & hand shred it (which by all means cost less, and may be healthier than this concoction... however how healthy is enchiladas anyway?). Now I just buy the canned chicken from Costco. I'm sure you can get canned chicken at your local grocery store, but please note that it may be smaller that this can that I am using. Check your ounces on the can! Here's whatcha need:


13 x 9 glass casserole dish
12.5 oz of canned chicken (or get that roasted chicken from the deli @ your grocery store and shred it)
1 package of enchilada sauce (which called for the can of tomato paste I didn't picture - of course)
Corn tortillias
Shredded Cheese

NOTE: The enchilada sauce I purchased called for 1 can of tomato paste, but I've seen other enchilada sauce call for 1 can of tomato sauce. Please check your packages for proper preparation. I usually shred cheese from the ginormous block of cheese we have in the fridge, but it's the end of the month, we are out of cheese, and I'm waiting until pay day to even step foot in the abyss of Costco for my monthly trip there. 

 So you need to drain the chicken, put it into a bowl and shred it with a fork:


Make your enchilada sauce (according to the directions on the package), then put a thin layer on the bottom of your casserole dish:


Put your shredded cheese in a bowl and line up your items like so (the enchilada sauce is on the stove to the right, and that teal thing is a plastic flexible cutting board.. I just needed a surface to contain the mess):


Take a tortilla and dip it into the enchilada sauce:


Lay your tortilla down:


Add chicken (don't stuff it too much, or you'll run out of chicken early - and you still need to add the cheese):


Add cheese


And roll:


Place your enchilada seam side down so the top is smooth, and so that your enchilada doesn't come undone:


Dip, stuff, and repeat until your platter is full. There were 2 more enchiladas that I did full of cheese at the top, but they didn't make it into the picture:


Pour the reaming sauce over the top of your enchiladas: 


Add cheese to the top:


Throw into the oven at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or so... at least until the cheese is melted & the insides are hot. In the meantime, chop your onions, throw a pot of corn on the stove, and make your salad with dressing, and VOLIA! You've got dinner:


Can I just say that even though this is lazy woman's enchiladas.... taking these pictures, downloading them onto my computer, and adding them into my blog was me NOT being lazy! So this batch of enchiladas I made were technically NOT lazy woman's enchiladas... I'm just sayin :)

Do you really want to make it even more easier? After you do your layer of sauce on the bottom, add a layer of torillias to the bottom, add a layer of chicken. add a layer of cheese, then a repeat. Pour the sauce over the top, and call it enchilada lasagna! BOO YAH!


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment